Publisher Cygames and developer Arc System Works announced a Granblue Fantasy fighting game titled Granblue Fantasy Versus for PlayStation 4 at Granblue Fantasy Fes 2018. The game will launch in 2019.
Granblue Fantasy Versus is a brand new fighting game set in the world of Grandblue Fantasy. The game features original gameplay tailor-made to appeal to both Granblue Fantasy and fighting fans alike.
Granblue Fantasy director Tetsuya Fukuhara shared a few details about the game:
- Arc System Works was chosen as their style with franchises like Guilty Gear and BlueBlue was a good fit with Granblue Fantasy.
- Granblue Fantasy Versus will not be a combo-filled game to not alienate [fighting game] beginners and those not accustomed to games.
- All special moves can be unleashed with a single button.
- The game will still have action and strategic depth for skilled players.
- The game speed is moderate and the combos are very simple.
- Elements like juggling and aerials can only be done in limited situations.
- Abilities and arts from the original game are included as skills. For example, Lancelot’s “Blade Impulse” appears as a special move.
- Effects themed after “Triple Attack”, “HP Recovery” and “Attribute Attack UP” also exist.
- While characters with standard abilities were shown off, in the future, characters with more in-you-face abilities will be announced.
- Additional characters will be released as downloadable content.
- Gran is like how he is in the anime. He doesn’t have job (class) and fights alongside Lyria and Vyrn, so he summons primal beasts for his super special moves.
- The story mode is a major focus. It is an original story for those who haven’t played the smartphone game, but users who played the events of the smartphone game will also be able to get more enjoyment out of it.
- People who don’t like “winning or losing” will be accommodated, so they are figuring out how to allow people to play in that regard.
- There is online support. Player matching and ranked matching are planned.
- An arcade release is under consideration. Both Cygames and Arc System Works want to make it happen.
- Development is currently about 60% completed. Focus is placed on raising quality.
- They would like to release both Granblue Fantasy Versus and Granblue Fantasy: Relink for Steam (PC). There are already titles for PS4 that are being developed in-house such as the tentatively titled Project Awakening and as a company they would continue to put their strength into console.